[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Mar 21 17:07:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018, at 12:01, Kevin Smith wrote:
> I’d argue (and did at the Summit) that the opposite is true and that if
> we want (especially impromptu) MUC to start working nicely across
> multiple accounts we need clients to react to the user leaving rooms
> manually by disabling the autojoin and then having other clients leave
> as well. They only joined because the autoflag was set, so isn’t it
> logical for them to leave when it’s no longer set?

I agree with this; when I do something on one client, I almost always want it synced to my other clients. Room joining and parting is the same. Similarly, just because my connection dropped and came back up a moment later doesn't mean I should suddenly not be joined to rooms anymore. If I'm in a room, I should autojoin it from all my clients on startup, if I close the room, it should close immediately in my other clients and no longer be autojoined on startup.

—Sam