[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Wed Mar 21 17:27:07 UTC 2018

On 2018/03/21, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018, at 12:01, Kevin Smith wrote:
> > I’d argue (and did at the Summit) that the opposite is true and that if
> > we want (especially impromptu) MUC to start working nicely across
> > multiple accounts we need clients to react to the user leaving rooms
> > manually by disabling the autojoin and then having other clients leave
> > as well. They only joined because the autoflag was set, so isn’t it
> > logical for them to leave when it’s no longer set?
>
> I agree with this; when I do something on one client, I almost always want it synced to my other clients. Room joining and parting is the same. Similarly, just because my connection dropped and came back up a moment later doesn't mean I should suddenly not be joined to rooms anymore. If I'm in a room, I should autojoin it from all my clients on startup, if I close the room, it should close immediately in my other clients and no longer be autojoined on startup.

When I do join or part on one client, I almost never want it synced to my
other clients. I have pretty different use between clients.

If my connection dropped and came back a moment later, I would want my
client to rejoin MUCs I was in. I use bookmarks mostly as a way to
remember MUC JIDs, not to know which state my clients should be in.

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet