[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Mar 22 07:51:06 UTC 2018


On Donnerstag, 22. März 2018 08:36:10 CET Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 21 March 2018 at 18:37, Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 21. März 2018 18:07:53 CET Sam Whited wrote:
> >> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018, at 12:01, Kevin Smith wrote:
> >> > I’d argue (and did at the Summit) that the opposite is true and that if
> >> > we want (especially impromptu) MUC to start working nicely across
> >> > multiple accounts we need clients to react to the user leaving rooms
> >> > manually by disabling the autojoin and then having other clients leave
> >> > as well. They only joined because the autoflag was set, so isn’t it
> >> > logical for them to leave when it’s no longer set?
> >> 
> >> I agree with this; when I do something on one client, I almost always
> >> want
> >> it synced to my other clients. Room joining and parting is the same.
> >> Similarly, just because my connection dropped and came back up a moment
> >> later doesn't mean I should suddenly not be joined to rooms anymore.
> > 
> > This is what I meant primarily, sorry. I was unclear.
> > 
> >> If I'm
> >> in a room, I should autojoin it from all my clients on startup,
> > 
> > Now, I disagree here. I have several rooms which I don’t want on my mobile
> > device for battery reasons (my go-to example is #openstack on
> > irc.freenode.net). But I have multiple desktop-like devices which I would
> > like to join and leave those rooms synchronously.
> > 
> > But as it was said elsewhere, I guess this can very well be solved with
> > per- device-class (notification) settings plus CSI.
> 
> I really don't think we should go down the road of trying to define
> "device classes". This will only end up with a complex protocol and
> complex UIs in clients.
> 
> As per the logic described in my previous email, you can either set
> autojoin and explicitly leave the room on your mobile when it
> autojoins - the client should remember that you left, and this should
> override the bookmark - why would e.g. the mobile OS killing the app
> in the background and auto-restarting it cause you to rejoin rooms
> that you left?

Didn’t we argue before that leaving autojoined rooms should remove the 
autojoin flag, for synchronization?

> Alternatively for your case you can join on one of your desktop
> clients, choose not to have all your clients join (i.e. don't set
> autojoin), and then manually join it from your other desktop clients -
> in the room join dialog, they should let you select from your
> bookmarks.

So with the "leave synchronizes to all devices" part, this is the only way to 
achieve this. I guess this is fine. This is a power-user use-case anyways.

kind regards,
Jonas
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/attachments/20180322/8b527f46/attachment.sig>


More information about the Standards mailing list