[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0141: Data Forms Layout

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Thu Mar 22 22:06:27 UTC 2018

> 1. What software has XEP-0141 implemented? Please note that the
> protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at
> least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to
> advance from Draft to Final.

I’ve implemented it in Babbler,
https://bitbucket.org/sco0ter/babbler/src/0.7.5/xmpp-core/src/main/java/rocks/xmpp/extensions/data/layout/model/

But it’s really only low-level support. I’ve once planned to implement a UI renderer which understands XEP-141, but in the end the protocol isn’t that important and I think it's rarely deployed.
Most data forms are for configuration purposes and aren’t displayed in the UI (or are displayed in another way anyway).

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0141? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

No. Straight forward to implement.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0141 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

It says: "MAY contain a <text/> child element for additional information“. (§3.1 + 3.2)
=> one vs. multiple.

It’s unclear what the use case is for using multiple <text/> elements instead of one (I guess to create paragraphs or line breaks), but why can’t we use \n characters?

§ 8.6 XML Schema is usually no sub-paragraph, isn’t it? Should it be §9?

I think the XML Schema should be reconsidered:
E.g.:
<xs:element ref='reportedref' minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='unbounded'/>
but the text says "MUST NOT appear more than once"
==> "<xs:element ref='reportedref' minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='1‘/> ??

Typos:
§ 4.4: element RECOMMENDED (should be "element is RECOMMENDED“)
§ 8.4: <reported/<

— Christian