[Standards] Error requesting own vcard

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 21:37:33 UTC 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 21:15, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Xep54 gives two possible responses when a vcard isn’t there, and doesn’t give guidance on when each is appropriate - either return an error, or return an empty vcard.
>
> I think when fetching your own vcard it’d be odd for the server to return an error, and would always expect the empty vcard (which I read as no-vcard-set-yet) response instead of the error (which I read as not being able to have a vcard here).

Our (Prosody) interpretation was simply "if you haven't set a vcard,
it doesn't exist, therefore not found". That is, "you do not have a
published vcard" is different from "you have a published empty vcard".

However the XEP explicitly states that they are semantically
equivalent, so I guess it doesn't matter much either way. Ultimately
with the XEP as it is (and it's had this text for 10 years), I'm not
sure there's much we can do to resolve this - clients need to handle
both cases the same.

Regards,
Matthew