[Standards] Review of XEP-0369: Mediated Information Exchange (MIX) v0.9.5

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 05:31:19 UTC 2018

Fri, 23 Mar 2018 20:57:41 +0000
Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the review, comments follow (I’ve elided trivial points).
>
> On 20 Mar 2018, at 16:34, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
> > As of now MIX is bloated and got way out of hand.
>
> I’m not sure to what extent this is true, but I’m going to go through
> and see what can be simplified.

I think the core of the XEP should not rely on ad-hoc services: the
whole protocol should re-use existing pubsub spec. For relaying
messages this would be enough. Other stuff like presence management,
jid proxy, access rules and other nerdy features should go into an
ad-hoc service and should be described in a separate document.

> MIX is a very simple core concept

XEP-0136 had also a very simple concept.

> and I’m not entirely sure how we’ve got to the current situation
> where it’s viewed as complex

The XEP is 91 pages long. Even reading it will take a day.