[Standards] NEW: XEP-0402 (Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious))

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Mar 28 20:51:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018, 20:58 Goffi, <goffi at goffi.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 28 mars 2018, 19:18:32 CEST Jonas Wielicki a écrit :
> > Version 0.2.0 of XEP-0402 (Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)) has
> > been released.
> >
> > Abstract:
> > This specification defines a syntax and storage profile for keeping a
> > list of chatroom bookmarks on the server.
> >
> > Changelog:
> > Remove password element, add examples, update security considerations.
> > (jcb)

> > Note: The information in the XEP list at https://xmpp.org/extensions/
> > is updated by a separate automated process and may be stale at the
> > time this email is sent. The XEP documents linked herein are up-to-
> > date.
>
> Hi,
>
> OK I'm taking the killjoy role here, but I'm not sure that this kind of
> title, or sentences like "On publication of this specification, the XMPP
> Registrar will dance a little jig to the tune of the traditional hornpipe
> with a tea-cosy upon his or her head." (XEP-0376), while funny I admit,
> have their place in XEPs with official numbers – even if experimental –,
> and
> which are planed to be widely deployed.
>
> If I were a first time reader of specs which would like to give a try to
> XMPP, I'm not sure how I would consider XSF serious with this kind of
> stuff.

I take your point. RFC 1122 strongly recommends that all Internet gateways
should be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound on page 76. This is
why the IETF is never taken seriously.

Really, this has a silly title to avoid confusion with XEP-0048, and I
proposed renaming the old one as well. As for 376, I had entirely forgotten
about that... I should do some work on that spec and I'm happy to remove it
then.

That said, I think some levity does us no harm, especially in early
experimental specs, and in informative text. Try the SASL exchanges in 388,
for example.