[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Sat Mar 31 15:31:41 UTC 2018

>> The 'autojoin' flag name is a bit misleading in the time of always-on
>> clients.  Maybe we should change the text to indicate that a client is
>> supposed to join and stay joined(!) if this flag is set, and maybe also
>> to automatically leave when the flag is unset.
>
> I’d argue that clients should always stay joined in MUCs the user hasn’t
> explicitly left. So autojoin is just saying "join the MUC on startup" (and
> thus, by extension, stay joined).

Exactly.  This is what it means in my IRC client (irssi) and what I've
always assumed / treated it as meaning in XMPP.  If I join a MUC I want to
stay in until I explicitly leave or close my client.  If I leave I want to
stay left until I explicitly join or close my client.  After closing and
re-opening my client I want to be in exactly the MUCs in my autojoin list.

If I just wanted to persist what my client had last time it was open, I
wouldn't need bookmarks.