[Standards] XEP-0363 (HTTP Upload): Privacy Considerations & Deletion

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:03:12 UTC 2018

Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:20:38 +0200
Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> I agree with your stance about deletion. Which is why I made it a
> separate PR.
>
> What do you think about the independent extension to the text I
> proposed in https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/625 ?

While I'm fine with having a separate extension, I'm against the PR
itself. I think the behaviour is up to a local policy. We shouldn't make
default recommendations based on some local laws (GDPR). Because if we
do that, we can easily add "NOT" to all "SHOULD"s, and in this case we
will describe the local law of Russia (where it is required to keep all
users data for at least 6 months). I would really advise XSF to avoid
making political statements. Not to mention that the text brings
nothing to the document and only increases its size: it doesn't
describe any protocol, it doesn't describe security considerations, it
doesn't describe UX, so what does it do? Can we replace the text with
"People SHOULD live in peace?" Because the meaning of the statement
doesn't change a lot and a reader can easily ignore it.