[Standards] XEP-0045 Room (JID) aliases

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Tue May 1 10:46:28 UTC 2018

On 2018/05/01, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 1 May 2018 at 00:43, Maxime Buquet <pep at bouah.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Standards,
> >
> > I was wondering if it was possible to have aliases for a chatroom.
> >
> > Say I want to have foo at muc as a proper room, and bar at muc as an alias,
> > joining bar at muc would make me join foo at muc instead.
> >
> > Is there a solution for this already?
> >

> Well, no... But given your description this is something that could be done
> entirely server-side, isn't it?
>
> (Assuming "@muc" really does mean the same domain in both cases).

Yes I had in mind to stay on the same domain.

> Why did you want to do this?

I wanted to have fancyname at muc and serious-business at muc, pointing to
the same room.

For this particular use case an alias might be best, The component knows
what other has joined what JID and speaks to them via this JID. I would
also be ok with a redirect though, having the component state "business
happens _there_".

Redirect implies client support I assume, but that would also allow for
redirects to other components.

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet