[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: XMPP Connections across HTTPS (HACX)

Travis Burtrum travis at burtrum.org
Fri May 4 12:55:29 UTC 2018

On 05/03/2018 11:06 AM, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2018, at 07:26, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
>
> This appears to have significant overlap with the HTTP mechanism from XEP-0156: Discovering Alternative XMPP Connection Methods, but I don't see any mention of it. A brief discussion about what it provides on top of that or why it's necessary to have another discovery mechanism might be useful.

I do mention it in Security Considerations, but in a different context:

https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/hacx.html#security

I agree it should mention what you said, briefly the reason is that can
only provide websocket/bosh, is not extendable as I read it (uses that
oasis namespace) and so cannot support priority/weight/sni/alpn.
Additionally, the business rules are in direct conflict with what HACX
is trying to do.

As a point of XEP authoring procedure, where would something like that
fit? Use Cases?

Thanks much,
Travis