[Standards] XEP-0363 (HTTP Upload): Privacy Considerations & Deletion

Winfried Tilanus winfried at tilanus.com
Mon May 7 08:31:51 UTC 2018

On 05/01/2018 10:46 AM, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Tue, 1 May 2018 09:33:54 +0100
> Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> I appreciate the sentiment, but as an implementer I'd want to know
>> about potential legal requirements of software I'm writing, so I can
>> then gain some more confidence about offering that software to
>> various jurisdictions, and can take these requirements into
>> consideration when designing the software.
>
> You should consult lawyers then. Relying on a technical document
> written by engineers shouldn't make you more confident in the questions
> of law.

I wouldn't trust a document written by lawyers either, certainly not
when they are writing about technical implementation. I have seen too
much crap there and lawyers are also speculating until there is a
verdict from a judge (and even then...).

But on a more serious note: though we can't resolve legal issues in our
documents, we can point to some (potential) issues and preliminary
resolutions. With the analysis of GDPR issues, I noticed we can do quite
well there.

Winfried

--
privacy consultant e-health