[Standards] Thoughts on MIX adoption (and will MIX ever happen?)

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Thu May 10 09:38:50 UTC 2018

Thu, 10 May 2018 11:21:43 +0200
Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

> What worries me about MIX is that it looks like such a big spec that
> no body is going to implement fully that years from now we are still
> going to find 'bugs' in the XEP. Like we recently found 'bugs' (under
> specified things) in PubSub and that XEP is 15+ years old.

I agree with this (as I said many times). And I of course disagree with
the XEP author: comparing MIX with other poorly implemented monster
specs assuming that this is "normal" is beyond me.

I'm for sure vetoing MIX implementation in ejabberd in the form it's
presented currently. As I said: we just have to use pubsub and improve
pubsub spec if we miss some really basic functionality. And I agree
with Holger: if we cannot reuse pubsub for such simple functionality as
group messaging then why we need pubsub at all?