[Standards] Disappearing timers for OMEMO proposal

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu May 10 15:23:25 UTC 2018

On Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2018 14:36:46 CEST Ненахов Андрей wrote:

> > I'd also rather not tie it to OMEMO.
>
> By the way ,self-destructing messages should also be deleted from
> message archives on both sender and recipients servers. For e2ee
> messages one can argue that it's not really important if messages are
> not deleted from server, however, it's just yet another way to make
> such 'ephemeral' messages reappear on recipient's device - just by
> reading from archive.

We *can* technically "delete" from MAM-based archives, with tombstoning.

Also, if the client uses MAM for sync purposes, it won’t re-show the same
message because internally it knows that it has already synced that part of
the archive and won’t re-sync it. So this will actually work neatly in sync-
based clients.

Clients which use MAM in a "surf through your archives server-side" way
without copying it locally will of course still see the message. They could
still show it as "expired" or simply hide it from the view.

kind regards,
Jonas