[Standards] Disappearing timers for OMEMO proposal

W. Martin Borgert debacle at debian.org
Fri May 11 08:24:35 UTC 2018

Quoting Alexander Krotov <ilabdsf at gmail.com>:
> Disappearing messages without end-to-end encryption and forward
> secrecy are useless at best. They give the user false sense of
> security. That is why Telegram implements timers for "secret" chats
> only I believe, as I said in the first message.

I respectfully disagree.

Timers (or "ephemeral messages") are not a security feature, but only
a means of data hygiene.

Therefore it is orthogonal to any encryption and it does also not
matter, whether your peer or one of your peers devices or resources
does implement the feature or not. No need to check. As sender, just
use the timers and let the problem of deleting messages to the
recipient.

Cheers