[Standards] Disappearing timers for OMEMO proposal

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at riseup.net
Sat May 12 17:55:52 UTC 2018

Hi!

I get what you want to achieve, but I think it would be easier to define
disappearing messages for general XMPP (not only OMEMO).

As already stated, you cannot trust devices that announce support, to
actually delete messages after the timer expired. Lets assume you do
trust all involved devices. Lets see how to deal with legacy devices.
Why not specify ephemeral messages like this:

<message blabla="...">
    <timer secs="300">
    </timer>
</message>

and in combination with OMEMO:

<message blabla="...">
    <timer secs="300">
        <encrypted xmlns="eu.siacs.conversation.omemo">
        </encrypted>
    </timer>
</message>

That way legacy clients would not be able to display/decrypt the
message, as they would not know how to deal with the timer element.

Let me know if there is something wrong with my idea :)

vanitasvitae