[Standards] Disappearing timers for OMEMO proposal

Alexander Krotov ilabdsf at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:47:23 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 01:05:54PM +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2018-05-13 12:38, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> > On Samstag, 12. Mai 2018 19:55:52 CEST Paul Schaub wrote:
> > > <message blabla="...">
> > >     <timer secs="300">
> > >     </timer>
> > > </message>
> >
> > This is awful. It will require the message to carry a non-empty <body/> to
> > deal with the MAM/Carbons mess (and also to help users of clients which do not
> > support this feature).
>
> I would prefer
>
> <message ephemeral="300">
> </message>
>
> Everybody can just us the attribute or ignore it.

element is to prevent legacy clients from displaying and storing it.

By the way, attribute without a namespace is a bad idea. Each extension
should have its own namespace I believe.

There are two options:
1. Keep <ephemeral> empty and use it only to specify timer value.
   backwards-compatibility (and to trigger carbons delivery).