[Standards] Maintaining a list of ongoing conversations

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Mon May 14 10:28:17 UTC 2018

Hi folks

I'm interested in finding a way to keep track of ongoing conversations and
whether any new messages were added to them since the user was last online.

I think this is the so-called "Inbox" feature that was brought up at the 2018
summit.

At the summit the suggested approach was a private PEP node with a list of
JIDs.

Besides that, in order to know whether new messages were added to these
conversations (while the user was offline), we'll also need to store the
date of the last seen message.

I imagine, if done right, that this functionality might in many cases remove
the need for bookmarks as currently used.

Is anyone already working on something like this? I'm not aware of a relevant
protoXEP being created already.

If not, I'm willing to create it.

Regards
JC