[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Best practices for GDPR compliant deployment of XMPP

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed May 23 08:47:43 UTC 2018

On 23 May 2018, at 09:26, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> On 23 May 2018 at 08:33, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:
>> I suspect the appropriate approving body for this (which is presumably legal advice rather than technical) would be Board rather than Council.
>> Thoughts?
>
> Board appears to formally approve only Procedural, which this isn’t.

Oh, yes, that’s true.

> It's also expressly not legal advice(!)

I’m not convinced that saying “this isn’t legal advice” while giving advice on how to interpret/comply with law actually makes it so :)

> In practical terms, I'm happy if Council wishes to get a sounding from Board prior to voting, irrespective of who will do the de jure vote.

I think I’m sufficiently ignorant on these matters that I would need Board to give a sign-off on the legal front before I could reasonably approve it (I would rather we came up with a mechanism that Board could be the approving body for this one - even if individual members of current Council have competence here, it is not technical and instead within Board’s general area).

/K