[Standards] Taking a Machete to MIX

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu May 24 06:50:49 UTC 2018

On Montag, 21. Mai 2018 18:06:30 CEST Tedd Sterr wrote:
> My point is that it's difficult to tell what's mandatory and what's
> optional, and so it's still going to require combing through all eight
> documents first to find out what's necessary and second to decide what's
> desirable.

I’ve heard this from a few places now. Maybe we can have a table in XEP-0369
(or maybe even all of them), prominently at the top before going too deep in
any technicalities or background, which clearly states for each XEP where it
is {mandatory,recommended,optional}-to-implement?

Like:

XEP-0369:
- User server: not needed
- MIX server: REQUIRED
- Client: REQUIRED

XEP-0405:
- User server: REQUIRED
- MIX server: not needed
- Client: REQUIRED (needs to support the IQ protocol to join a MIX)

etc. (in table form of course because that’s easier to digest; but tables are
hard in emails)

kind regards,
Jonas