[Standards] MIX and ProxyJIDs

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu May 24 14:24:10 UTC 2018

On 24 May 2018 at 14:50, Manuel Rubio <manuel at altenwald.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that from MUC and probably even before the privacy for the user is
> a priority and it's compulsory to use Proxy-JIDs in some way. But, in my
> use case we have a closed system and all of the users know to the others.
>
> Even if the server is opened to others, the private groups only accessed
> using invitation have the same property, all of the participants know the
> others.
>
> For the users it's a waste of memory and network to ask all the time for
> who is the proxy-JID which is sending the message. I was thinking to use a
> new configuration param like:
>
> - 'User real JID' default to false.
>
> If that configuration is set to true, then the block:
>
>   <mix xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:core:0'>
>     <nick>thirdwitch</nick>
>     <jid>123456#coven at mix.shakespeare.example</jid>
>     <real-jid>hag66 at shakespeare.example</real-jid>
>   </mix>

<jid/> always contains the real jid, if present.
<proxy-jid/> always contains the proxy jid, but is only present if the real
jid is not.

That seems to be what you're asking for, isn't it?

Personally, I dislike the messages coming from the MIX channel's bare jid -
that's inconsistent with how presence works (or, indeed, messages work
normally). I'd rather they came from the full proxy jid.