[Standards] Where a MIX message comes from

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Thu May 24 15:10:54 UTC 2018

Dave notes “Personally, I dislike the messages coming from the MIX channel's bare jid - that's inconsistent with how presence works (or, indeed, messages work normally). I'd rather they came from the full proxy jid.”

I agree that there would be an elegance in doing this, and it would avoid need to encode nick/jid in the message.

Downsides:

1. Participants list has to be shared, so it prevents basic operation of a mix channel distributing messages, but hiding the list of participants.   I think this could be useful.

2.  Prevents a basic client that does not support presences and does not read participants list.

3.  Means that for an archived message, you need to find an appropriate archived participants list to figure who it came from.

On balance, I think that current approach is best, but I'm open to changing if others prefer

Another option would be to have messages come from proxy JID AND have the nick/jid encoded.

Steve