[Standards] Where a MIX message comes from

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu May 24 15:23:32 UTC 2018

On 24 May 2018 at 16:10, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> wrote:

> Dave notes “Personally, I dislike the messages coming from the MIX
> channel's bare jid - that's inconsistent with how presence works (or,
> indeed, messages work normally). I'd rather they came from the full proxy
> jid.”
>
> I agree that there would be an elegance in doing this, and it would avoid
> need to encode nick/jid in the message.

You'd still need the nickname and real jid in the message, I think, for all
the same reasons that they're present now.

> Downsides:
>
> 1. Participants list has to be shared, so it prevents basic operation of a
> mix channel distributing messages, but hiding the list of participants.   I
> think this could be useful.

I don't think that's true, is it? A (MIX-aware) entity can determine that
it's a MIX proxy jid without much effort. The only participants exposed are
the ones "speaking", which is essentially the same situation as now.

> 2.  Prevents a basic client that does not support presences and does not
> read participants list.

Again, I don't think that's true.

> 3.  Means that for an archived message, you need to find an appropriate
> archived participants list to figure who it came from.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> On balance, I think that current approach is best, but I'm open to
> changing if others prefer
>
> Another option would be to have messages come from proxy JID AND have the
> nick/jid encoded.

I assumed that the real jid would still be present in the message if
appropriate, and a nickname would more or less have to go in the message.