[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-11-14

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Thu Nov 15 19:39:15 UTC 2018


http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2018-11-14/#16:01:26

Kev rounds up the troops.

1) Roll call
Present: Georg, Kev, Sam
Apologies: Daniel
Missing, presumed alive: Dave

2) Agenda
Kev takes one look at the long list of potential items and proposes putting everything off until next week, under the mistaken belief there will be an extra week to work with - he's soon corrected.
Georg and Sam would prefer to get the voting started now and have a week for on-list discussion - Kev gives in to popular opinion.

3) Advance XEP-0357 (Push Notifications) to DRAFT - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0357.html
Kev: [on-list]
Sam: [on-list] (don't really have the necessary background knowledge for a good opinion)
Georg: -1 (high priority topic hasn't been addressed; but really liked the stripped stanza proposal)
Daniel: [pending]
Dave: [pending]

Kev is very much in favour of allowing pushing through the real data.
Georg thinks the current XEP is much better than it was half a year ago, but the feedback from August hasn't been addressed.
Kev thinks privacy does need to be supported, but it's useful to allow users/deployments to decide the trade-off between utility and privacy; Georg says a tri-state of none/stripped/full would make that possible; Sam thinks that seems over-complicated, but supports allowing data.
Kev admits some responsibility for 0357, and should put time in, but a time-machine might be required.

4) Advance XEP-0359 (Unique and Stable Stanza IDs) to DRAFT - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0359.html
Georg thinks the current status quo of hard-coding "you have a new message" into the server module is non-ideal; has submitted some feedback and would like to see it addressed, but won't block on that basis.

Georg: +0 (+1 if above feedback is properly addressed)
Kev: [on-list]
Sam: [on-list]
Daniel: [pending]
Dave: [pending]

5) PR #692 - XEP-0060: correct "entity" to "<subscription/>" - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/692
Kev: [on-list]
Sam: +0
Georg: [on-list]
Daniel: [pending]
Dave: [pending]

6) PR #693 - XEP-0060: Remove unused 'node' attribute on pubsub#event item - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/693
Kev: [on-list]
Georg: [on-list]
Sam: +0 (not confident enough with pub-sub to review it, no matter how many times I re-read it)
Daniel: [pending]
Dave: [pending]

Georg thinks this meeting is so productive!

7) PR #715 - XEP-0045: Add missing disco#info feature to example 4, 9, 78 and 218 - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/715
Kev: [on-list]
Georg: [on-list]
Sam: +1
Daniel: [pending]
Dave: [pending]

8) PR #716 - XEP-0030: Clarify 'disco#info' feature in 'disco#info' responses - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/716
Kev: [on-list]
Sam: -1
Georg: [on-list]
Daniel: [pending]
Dave: [pending]

Sam agrees that it's weird to always include 'disco#info' when it's obviously supported, but doesn't see the need to modify a Final XEP and add optional behaviour, and recommends just following the standard as written. Jonas thinks that's the most sensible word on the subject so far.
Jonas could ensure that the feature is present in every relevant example in the XEP, if Council so wishes.
Kev isn't keen on making non-vital changes to XEP-0030. Sam doesn't think leaving it as-is will cause anything to break.
Georg isn't sure it's needed in all examples in all XEPs, and would rather add a note in 0030 that the feature may not be present in examples but must still be implemented; Sam thinks that sounds reasonable. Georg and Sam agree this would be an editorial change, and would be happy for Editors to just change it. Jonas requests wording - Sam provides "Note that this is sometimes omitted in examples in the XEP series"; Georg amends that to "Note that the disco#info feature is …"

9) Date of next
2018-11-21 1600 UTC

[Note: this will be the final meeting of the current council; any remaining votes should preferably be made before the end of the day to allow processing by Editors.]

10) AOB
Georg asks whether there were any expired votes to recast, or open votes remaining from last week. Kev says the PR #717 vote is still open. Jonas and Kev think the expired were already covered. [PRs #692 and #693 are the resurrected-from-expired votes.]

Georg has started working on the Moved XEP, but it turned out to be a huge mess implementation-wise; will submit it to the next Council.

11) Close
Thanks all.
Kev reaches end-of-file.


Discussion of 'Moved' continues…

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/attachments/20181115/346840b5/attachment.html>


More information about the Standards mailing list