[Standards] XEP-0308: LMC of a previous correction

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Sat Nov 17 16:38:45 UTC 2018

On Samstag, 17. November 2018 17:32:26 CET Georg Lukas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when correcting a previously corrected message, do you reference the
> original message @id or the message @id of the last correction to that
> message?
>
> The XEP proclaims:
> | A single message may be corrected multiple times by subsequent edits.
>
> which kind of leaves this question open, and from a quick survey, at
> least poezio, Conversations and yaxim will reference the last
> correction's message @id and not the original one.
>
> It would be great to clarify in the XEP business rules.

I tend slightly towards posting subsequent corrections against the original
@id. This is because in my mind, the correction replaces the payload, not the
message itself. However, if all current implementations refer to the ID of the
previous correction, we should probably put *that* in the business rules and
also call it a blockchain and tell that to our Marketing department.

kind regards,
Jonas