[Standards] XEP-0308: LMC of a previous correction

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Sat Nov 17 17:37:35 UTC 2018

* Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name> [2018-11-17 17:39]:
> I tend slightly towards posting subsequent corrections against the original
> @id. This is because in my mind, the correction replaces the payload, not the
> message itself. However, if all current implementations refer to the ID of the
> previous correction, we should probably put *that* in the business rules and
> also call it a blockchain and tell that to our Marketing department.

There is another reason to reference the last correction and not the
original message: if you are only fetching the last N messages of
history, and the original is outside of that - you still can correct the
tail of the list based on the previous-correction id.

Example:

<message id=1/>
-- your history sync starts here --
<message id=2><replace id=1>