[Standards] MIX: The Nick Name Problem (TM) aka The Identity Crisis (TM)

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu Nov 29 18:47:55 UTC 2018

Am Do., 29. Nov. 2018 um 13:36 Uhr schrieb Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu>:

> So instead of every room, you could potentially register the nick with
> the service, not every channel. Also, I don't think there's a
> requirement for them to be unique from a protocol point of view.

What does 'protocol point of view' mean?

The MIX XEP says
> The nick for each channel participant MUST be different to the nick of other participants.

To me that means no two 'Daniel' in the same channel and that in turn
means I can not map my usual display name on top of MIX nicks

I agree that this is not a technical limitation. Nothing in the
protocol depends on nicks being unique. But if the XEP demands that
people will start to make assumptions based on that

cheers
Daniel