[Standards] MIX: The Nick Name Problem (TM) aka The Identity Crisis (TM)

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Fri Nov 30 07:10:53 UTC 2018

For anyone's interested, in our group chat protocol we did the following
(and it's already working!):

   - Every user is assigned an id valid only for this group chat, this id
   does not carry any semantic value and are to be unique
   - Chats can be in regular or incognito mode. In regular mode user's XMPP
   IDs are visible, in incognito mode - no
   - Regular chat users can opt to group chat server harvesting data from
   their vCards and setting up group chat nick/avatar to match user's current
   nick/avatar, or to manually submit their own nick/avatar. Doing so cancels
   automatic gathering of user data
   - Nicknames are NOT unique, if second person sets a nickname matching
   that of someone's else, we add a special *badge* to this user (usually
   displayed near nick), so that combination of nickname+badge is always uniqie
   - btw, in chats where users can set the badge themselves, the most
   popular badge that users set is 💩. By a large margin.

Ненахов Андрей
Директор ООО "Редсолюшн" (Челябинск)
(351) 750-50-04
http://www.redsolution.ru