[Standards] MIX: The Nick Name Problem (TM) aka The Identity Crisis (TM)

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Fri Nov 30 07:54:56 UTC 2018

Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 08:29 Uhr schrieb Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com>:

> On 29 Nov 2018, at 20:41, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > Am Do., 29. Nov. 2018 um 20:22 Uhr schrieb Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com>:
> >> First, the Avatar for a MIX channel is an associated with the channel, not
> >> with individual participants.  So an XSF MIX channel might have an XMPP logo
> >> as the avatar.  This would be very stable.
> >
> > I was talking about user avatars or more broadly getting
> > updates/subscriptions from the PEP nodes of participants of a channel.
> > The background for that being, if I can’t use the MIX-nick for the
> > reasons described above I need to learn their nick by other means.
> > One of those means could be the PEP nodes for those people.
> >
> > So my suggesting was to build some kind of PEP auto subscribe for all
> > participants I know across all channels into my MIX PAM.
>
> Yes, we need this (not specifically for nicknames, but for PEP avatars and all sorts). Thankfully the MIX service has a presence sub and is in your roster, so has everything it needs to do PEP relaying on the anonmising JIDs (but we should still spec this).

Yes all PEP nodes. I was just talking about avatar and nicks because I
figured it will be more relatable than me talking about OMEMO, OX and
timezone nodes.

However this is not just about proxying one time requests through the
anonymized JIDs (I will be using real JIDs anyway) but about my
account managing  the subscriptions for me. I need timely updates to
those PEP nodes. I don’t want to just poll it every now and then.