[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Tue Oct 2 18:05:35 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018, 22:32 Thilo Molitor, <thilo at eightysoft.de> wrote:

> The appserver can not know which message has high priority and which one
> is low priority without the xmpp server telling it.

Appserver might take notice that app didn't wake up after three
content-update notification and send an alert notification on fourth
attempt. We don't do that, however.

Content update notifications in iOS tend to be not quite reliable and can
> be throttled vor filtered completely if Apple likes to. And as you noted:
> after reboot vor app swipeaway they are not delivered at all.
>
> That's why ChatSecure for android uses high and low priority pushes. That
> doesn't make for a super nice UX but at least it is working.

Current content-update notifications are mostly working too, at least for
us.

They are not ideal, yes, but for the future we've decided on different
approach to this problem. Instead of playing around Apple's restrictions
and filtering we plan to bite the bullet and add voice calls capability.
This will allow nicely working notifications with absolutely no changes to
appserver or XEP.