[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Thilo Molitor thilo at eightysoft.de
Tue Oct 2 18:40:15 UTC 2018

> Appserver might take notice that app didn't wake up after three
> content-update notification and send an alert notification on fourth
> attempt. We don't do that, however.
Well, that wouldn't make for good UX at all. Push notifications are sent for
non-body messages, too. Having an alert notification without some visible
change when you open the app (because only "silent" xmpp stanzas triggered
push) is bad.
And imho chatting is about real-time communication. Missing (maybe important)
messages for several minutes or maybe for hours just because fewer than 3
pushes were sent out is bad, too (some account with only a few contacts,
something often seen with xmpp newcomers).
I agree that the only viable solution is to implement some VoIP capability
short of apple changing their policy, BUT:

Having a priority for messages helps where that is not feasible (or something
that will be implemented later after other XMPP functions have been
implemented). And there could come other push services for which this priority
thing will be needed, too.

The thing is: Having the capability for priorizing messages when needed in the
XEP will reflect what ChatSecure and possibly others need and are already
doing.
Not standardizing this despite of demand in this will ensure every app needing
this will do some homegrown not interoperable implementation/patch.
Chatseucre demanded its users to patch prosody to support a priority field.

AND: not standardizing this will just not reflect reality. Prosody AND ejabberd
both allow the last-message field to be used for priority signaling.
Standardizing a new field for this and removing the new-message field altogether
would be better, privacy wise and standards wise.

Thilo