[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Oct 22 08:50:03 UTC 2018

Hi

* Ненахов Андрей <andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru> [2018-10-05 16:37]:
> What you suggest imposes additional logic on the XMPP server to decide
> between 'important' and 'not important'.

I think that in the long term, we need to empower the server to do just
that. You propose that the client (or user?) should make the decision
what is important, by sending every push to the client. However, this is
bad for battery usage (you don't want your device to wake up on every
MUC presence change). It would be more elegant to have the client tell
the server what it considers as important (imagine account-wide
notification settings), and the server sending pushes according to that.

What's still not solved is how to interface that with E2EE (an encrypted
MUC message might or might not contain your name, demaning a push).

In the short term, we should codify the rough set of guidelines in the
XEP, as suggested by Thilo and Daniel, and have high-priority and
background pushes.

Georg