[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Mon Oct 22 09:26:17 UTC 2018

> I think that in the long term, we need to empower the server to do just
> that. You propose that the client (or user?) should make the decision
> what is important, by sending every push to the client. However, this is
> bad for battery usage (you don't want your device to wake up on every
> MUC presence change).

I don't propose that the client should make the decision what is
important. Quite the opposite - server does. And *if* the server
decides, that some event is important enough, it sends push and client
wakes up. No need for additional levels of logic with different levels
of push notifications importance, that indeed does put significant
overheads on both clients and servers.

> What's still not solved is how to interface that with E2EE (an encrypted
> MUC message might or might not contain your name, demaning a push).

Ah, this is simple. MUC message simply won't reach your server because
your client is not connected to it.  Unless, of course, you use some
crutches to patch this unfortunate broken by
design IRC clone.

> In the short term, we should codify the rough set of guidelines in the
> XEP, as suggested by Thilo and Daniel, and have high-priority and
> background pushes.

If by 'high priority' pushes you mean use alert-type push
notifications in iOS, I'm opposing the idea of using them in at all.
It's either bad UX or privacy breach, both are bad.

--
Ненахов Андрей
Директор ООО "Редсолюшн" (Челябинск)