[Standards] Persisting Message Errors (XEP-0280, XEP-0313, XEP-0160)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Thu Aug 1 11:08:49 UTC 2019

Hi,

error type stanzas are currently ephemeral, and not taken seriously by
many (client) developers. As one step in increasing the (perceived)
reliability of XMPP messaging, I'd like to make message errors
persistent, so that users can better gauge which of their messages
actually arrived at the recipient.

This involves the following steps:

1. Enforce carbon-copying of message errors (happened in XEP-0280
   version 0.13, albeit with a side note that I'd like to get rid of).
   I think that just always carbon-copying all message errors will do
   more good than bad, BTW.

2. Enforce storage of message errors in MAM (XEP-0313).

3. Enforce storage of message errors in offline storage (XEP-0160).

4. Inhibit the error-bouncing of messages that are going into offline
   storage or MAM (provided that the recipient supports MAM).

Am I overlooking any obvious problems? (Increased server storage demands
are not a problem, unless it's significantly more than actual user
messages, which I don't see here)

Obviously, this should only happen for direct messages and PMs, not for
type=groupchat ones.

Georg