[Standards] Council Voting Summary 2019-08-18

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue Aug 20 16:02:49 UTC 2019

On Dienstag, 20. August 2019 14:02:27 CEST Georg Lukas wrote:
> > PR #808 - XEP-0045: Add Tags configuration and metadata -
> > https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/808
> -0. It _might_ make sense to have yet another way to describe a MUC,
> besides of JID, name, description and subject, but I'd like to see a
> strong rationale for that. Besides, I'd prefer to have user-defined
> tags, akin to roster groups, that can be assigned to MUCs as well, and I
> think having both would make for a horribly convoluted UX.

The intent for this was to make it usable in search engines like [muclumbus].
I think those are orthogonal features, and I wouldn’t show the (MUC
controlled) tags in client UIs beside search, to be honest.

Tags were one of the first features informally requested against muclumbus
after I launched it, and it was something I’d like to have had right from the
start, too.

Fulltext search in description and name and JID is nice and all, but you (as a
user) need to know what keywords to search for (plus designing a working,
usable fuzzy fulltext search is not trivial; PRs welcome). Tags would allow me
(muclumbus hat on) to provide more useful search suggestions.

kind regards,
Jonas

  [muclumbus]: https://search.jabbercat.org.