[Standards] XEP-0163: Notify after directed presence

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Sat Aug 24 18:26:14 UTC 2019

Hi standards,

I found about this issue while working on the OMEMO implementation in
poezio (that should be available soon(tm)), but I guess this can be
applied to other things. The issue goes as follows:

- Start encrypted chat with non-contact recipient.
  At this point, my OMEMO code will fetch devicelist and bundles via
  PEP.
- Recipient then updates his OMEMO status (adds a device, removes a
  devices from the devicelist)
- ???
  I am not aware of changes as I am not being notified through PEP
  because of not being a contact. I continue encrypting same as I was
  before the changes.

One obvious answer is to add the recipient as contact, but this might
not always fly.

Asking quickly in jdev@ [0], I was suggested to use directed presences,
and [even if it might not be specified yet?] it would make sense if I
now received PEP notifications for items with an access_model of "open".

Thoughts?

Happy Hacking!

[0]: https://logs.xmpp.org/jdev/2019-08-24#2019-08-24-bf845f259b5e8576

--