[Standards] XEP-0163: Notify after directed presence

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Aug 28 08:23:53 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 26. Aug. 2019 um 15:30 Uhr schrieb Maxime Buquet <pep at bouah.net>:

> On 2019/08/26, Holger Weiß wrote:
> > * Maxime Buquet <pep at bouah.net> [2019-08-24 20:26]:
> > > I found about this issue while working on the OMEMO implementation in
> > > poezio (that should be available soon(tm)), but I guess this can be
> > > applied to other things. The issue goes as follows:
> > >
> > > - Start encrypted chat with non-contact recipient.
> > >   At this point, my OMEMO code will fetch devicelist and bundles via
> > >   PEP.
> > > - Recipient then updates his OMEMO status (adds a device, removes a
> > >   devices from the devicelist)
> > > - ???
> > >   I am not aware of changes as I am not being notified through PEP
> > >   because of not being a contact. I continue encrypting same as I was
> > >   before the changes.
> >
> > What about explicitly subscribing to the devicelist node (assuming the
> > node's access_model allows you to)?
>
> That should be doable indeed, but then I'm not sure when to unsuscribe,
> (which I would very much like to do at some point I think.)
>
> Unless I still get directed presences, then it would probably be ok?

Yes when to unsubscribe is the big question here. Furthermore without
something like PAM I might even forget that I'm subscribed.
This makes the directed presence idea kinda appealing to me.

If we ever get something like PAM and it turns out to be better for
this one could just stop doing the directed presence thing again so
there is no harm in allowing it I guess…

cheers
Daniel