[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Fastening

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Dec 11 15:16:04 UTC 2019

On 7 Sep 2019, at 14:03, Andrew Nenakhov <andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com> wrote:
> Seems like a copy of XEP-0367 Message Attaching. It also shares the same problem: no explanation whatsoever on how to fetch these attachments from a Message Archive in any efficient way. Ideally, we should retrieve a message from an archive with all its attachments. We should also have some kind of notification on reconnecting that a previously received message received/updated an attachment (or attachments) while we were offline.

Given your message to the other thread, I think we’re fairly well aligned on what’s needed here. I do believe that as long as we get Fastening going in a sensible direction, development of the archive access model can happen

> Without some kind of plan to deal with these issues, any discussion about attachments will result in half-baked XEP that can only be implemented on hardcore 'traditional' clients that enjoy a persistent connection.

We did come up with a plan for this at the summit (or at least an intended direction). Fastening is the first step of this - subsequent steps are the archive access. Clients with full knowledge of the archive, or that require permanent connections, are not the model I’m shooting for, and definitely not the only one that needs considering.

/K