[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Fastening

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Dec 11 15:41:15 UTC 2019

On 10 Sep 2019, at 08:20, JC Brand <lists at opkode.com> wrote:

> Am 7. September 2019 15:03:49 MESZ schrieb Andrew Nenakhov <andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com <mailto:andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com>>:
>> Seems like a copy of XEP-0367 Message Attaching. It also shares the
>> same
>> problem: no explanation whatsoever on how to fetch these attachments
>> from a
>> Message Archive in any efficient way. Ideally, we should retrieve a
>> message
>> from an archive with all its attachments.
>
> I agree, especially for thin (e.g. web) clients this is an issue.
>
> If I connect and want to get the last 20 messages of a MUC, but 19 are reactions (and maybe even for a message not included in the results) then I in effect get only one showable message back.
>
> This is already an issue with markers and receipts AFAIK (which could make use of fastening for those too).

The right model here (for that type of client), to my eyes is to log in, get the last 20 messages of the MUC (or 1:1 chat for that matter) and for those 20 messages to be base messages (for want of a good description). They could be returned on their own, with a subsequent query for their metadata (fastenings), or they could be returned with metadata. But what shouldn’t happen is that you ask for 20 messages and you get 1 base message with 19 messages of metadata (probably none of which relate to that base message).

>> We should also have some kind of
>> notification on reconnecting that a previously received message
>> received/updated an attachment (or attachments) while we were offline.
>
> This seems less of an issue to me since I'd in any case to a catch-up query, unless you're referring to something like the mythical "inbox" feature.

I’m inclined to try to address it afterwards, since if we have protocols that successfully query the archive, this is a different view onto that.

/K