[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Character counting in message bodies

Philipp Hörist philipp at hoerist.com
Wed Dec 18 12:38:05 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 18. Dez. 2019 um 12:02 Uhr schrieb Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu
>:

> I do like to point out that it is probably not really XMPP specific
> (similar to XEP-0392: Consistent Color Generation), but I don't see a
> reason why this shouldn't get XEP'ed up.

I don't see the similarities, one is a pure UI suggestion (XEP-0392), has
nothing to do with the protocol layer.
The other XEP (Message Counting) tells you how to generate information
which you have to transfer via xmpp to other entities.

One has no impact whatsoever on interoperability.
Without the other there is simply no interoperability.

Not sure what you mean by XMPP specific, yeah im sure other things in this
world also count characters for something, but that does still leave us
with the responsibility to define how XMPP wants to do it.

Regards
Philipp