[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Character counting in message bodies

Philipp Hörist philipp at hoerist.com
Sat Dec 21 10:44:44 UTC 2019

Am Sa., 21. Dez. 2019 um 11:39 Uhr schrieb Andrew Nenakhov <
andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com>:

> We assumed as much but weren't sure. Anyway, Marvin had sent a malformed
> stanza, which was corrected (escaped) by the server. Next, a client that
> counted characters in a different way than he did (which was known
> beforehand) counted them differently.  Next he complains he didn't get the
> result he expected.
>
> The only thing I'm surprised is that the server didn't just drop the
> connection, as it does when receiving unescaped < symbols

I think you misunderstood the RFC, it's not a violation to send ">"
unescaped.

> The right angle bracket (>) *may *be represented using the string " >
", and *MUST*, for compatibility <https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-compat>,
be escaped using either " > " or a character reference *when *it appears
in the string " ]]> " in content, when that string is not marking the end
of a CDATA section <https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-cdsection>.

Regards
Philipp