[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Character counting in message bodies

Andrew Nenakhov andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com
Sat Dec 21 11:32:03 UTC 2019

сб, 21 дек. 2019 г. в 16:21, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu>:

> Just making sure everyone has the same interpretation:
>
> Case 1) The text has the sequence ]]>. In this case, in XML the > MUST be
> escaped (with >, or equivalent character reference).
> Case 2) All occurances of > not preceded by ]]. Here > MAY appear as-is,
> or escaped. Both are valid.

Well. We diverge here, and read it differently. MUST be escaped clause uses
AND, it's is not optiona. The reason it MUST be escaped is _for
compatibility_, and we are in a compatibility game, aren't we?

For argument's sake, can you provide examples of XML processing libraries
that work the way you describe and do not escape > all the time? We know
none such, and we've tested dozens of them over the many years. Every
single one always did the escaping. As I think it should, because
consistency.

--
Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, redsolution, OÜ