[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: User-defined Data Transfer

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Tue Dec 31 01:39:16 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'd like to express my concern that the purpose of this proposed XEP is
mostly around defining a specific API to library developers. According
to XEP-0001, a Standards Track XEP defines a *wire protocol* intended to
be used as a standard part of XMPP technologies. Nothing indicates that
a XEP shall define library APIs.

Also I wonder why:

<message [...]>
  <payload xmlns="urn:xmpp:udt:0" datatype="urn:example:foo">
    <json [...] />
  </payload>
</message>

is considered superior to:

<message [...]>
  <x xmlns="urn:example:foo">
    <json [...] />
  </x>
</message>

The whole proposed XEP seem to create a wire protocol for the needs of a
specific library design. For example
udt_message_callback(session, datatype, callback) could also be realized
using message_callback(session, xpath, callback) without requiring a new
wire protocol.

Also a small formal issue: the XEP does say that it requires no XMPP
registrar considerations, however it introduces a new namespace
"urn:xmpp:udt:0".

Marvin