[Standards] XEP-0292: vCard4 - advance?

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Sat Jan 19 20:44:22 UTC 2019

Hi,

I would like to see XEP-0292: vCard4 Over XMPP advanced. Since
popularity and deployment of XEP-0084 appears to be on the rise, much
thanks to XEP-0398, now seems like a good time to dust it off and finish
it.

One benefit over vcard-temp is improved and configurabel access control,
if XEP-0222 & 0223 are supported. vcard-temp has historically been
completely public, something that may not be clear to users.

I'm not sure if the IQ based protocol defined is really worth it over
simply storing the vcard4 data per XEP-0222, but it's not hard to
implement or use, so it might be okay.

The current version of Prosody includes support for XEP-0292 in the form
of a plugin that provides access to the relevant PEP node via the IQ
protocol described as well as an exception that allows such requests to
pass trough MUC. There is also an implementation of XEP-0398 that
translates between vcard-temp and vcard4+xep84.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur