[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean in _xmpps-client/server records?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jul 1 08:08:59 UTC 2019

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 17:31, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> wrote:

> On June 30, 2019 5:20:09 PM GMT+02:00, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com>
> wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 30, 2019, at 15:16, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> >> Hmm. On which port? I want to point out explicitly that although 5223
> >> has been used a bunch since before the IETF standardization, IANA has
> >> assigned it to some HP management service. Hence my other proposal,
> >> which is still currently unregistered.
> >
> >5222, assuming a client connection, probably. If we ever got a port
> >registered for xmpps-client, I'd probably switch it to that. Although
> >right now it seems fine to do both on 5222.
>
> Do you know which server implementations currently support both TLS and
> non-TLS (with STARTLS) on the same port?

I have a vague recollection that Fippo mentioned this trick years ago -
perhaps Psyc, perhaps even the original Jabberd?

Servers can do this by trying a (non-destructive) XML parse on the data,
and if that fails (with any error other than EOF), try interpreting it as a
TLS ClientHello handshake message. I think you could probably make some
heuristic based on the first character, too, and I think that's what Fippo
mentioned.

If I say "Fippo" a third time, I think it summons him and he might
comment...

Dave.