[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Anonymous unique occupant identifiers for MUCs

Mathieu Pasquet mathieui at mathieui.net
Tue Jul 16 20:20:24 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 03:57:12PM -0000, Jonas Schäfer wrote:

> Title: Anonymous unique occupant identifiers for MUCs
> Abstract:
> This specification defines a method that allows clients to identify a
> MUC participant across reconnects and renames. It thus prevents
> impersonification of anonymous users.

> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
> proposal as an official XEP.

Hi,

Having already taken a look at this during the sprint, I must say this
is an elegant solution that provides an answer to a few long-standing
issues of groupchats:

- It can be used to provide fully anonymous chatrooms (as in: even
  owners cannot see JIDs, but does not hinder moderation and other admin
  tasks)
- It greatly simplifies the state tracking of user identity for things
  such as message corrections (and now, reactions) in semi-anonymous
  chatrooms

If this gets enough traction, I hope we can have this occupant-id
accepted in other places such as setting affiliations an so on.

Cheers,

--
Mathieu “mathieui” Pasquet