[Standards] Whitespace "ping"

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Tue Jun 11 12:23:59 UTC 2019

Hello Guus,

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 14:00, Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What we need basically is a way to negotiate the interval with server
>
> I'm not sure if this is _needed_? Without this being a requirement, much of the complexity of "making this more standard" falls away.

Well, I think if the server does not have to approve the value, client could expect to set it to something extreme (like 1s) or useless (like 1 days). The server could thus reply with a different value. And still the server needs to know at which rate the client is expected to send the keep alive.
But, yes, it is always possible to do something like that in a non standard way. My point was trying to agree on something to make life of client developers easier :)

> A server could, before determining that a connection is lost, attempt to send any IQ stanza (PING is an obvious choice, but any query will do). As the client is obliged to respond, if anything with an error, the server knows if the connection is, in fact, lost.

What would be the trigger for determining that the connection is lost and send the ping? Is it whitespace keep-alive or anything else?

Thanks!

--
Mickaël Rémond