[Standards] Whitespace "ping"

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Tue Jun 11 12:36:02 UTC 2019

вт, 11 июн. 2019 г. в 17:20, Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com>:
> Unless I'm mistaking, Push Notifications are one-way. As far as I know, they can't be used to tell if a client has dropped offline (and do all kinds of follow-up / cleanup actions, server sided).

Push notifications are not meant to tell if a client has dropped
offline, they are meant to bring that client back online!

What's not really cool is that as it is currently implemented in
servers (and that can hardly be changed), push notifications are sent
on every received message that is put into an archive, to all
registered devices. SO, even if you're temporarily online, you do get
a message and a push notification. But that's a minor issue. Also,
curiously, there is evidence that FCM notifications are themselves
implemented via a modified XMPP.

--
Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, Redsolution, Inc.