[Standards] Inbox and Other Stories

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jun 18 11:05:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 17:09, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> The solution back then was PEP, which is based on PubSub. Why would you
> want to build a publish-subscribe mechanism not on XEP-0060 PubSub?

It's possible to put everything into XEP-0060 - indeed, XEP-0207 discusses
exactly this, and shows examples of putting the roster and presence
notifications into PubSub.

I'm not going that route because the additional semantics of the roster are
useful here - but if you're open to replacing the roster entirely with a
more scalable design, I'm totally open to that.

> What about entries which are not in the roster?

Put them in, and mark them as ad-hoc entries.

> What about entities
> which are not interested in the additional roster metadata?

This one is really easy - we really do know how to negotiate extensions
these days. If a client doesn't want to know, we'll just not tell it.