[Standards] Council Voting Summary 2019-06-19

Emmanuel Gil Peyrot linkmauve at linkmauve.fr
Wed Jun 19 14:55:16 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 01:25:04PM +0000, Tedd Sterr wrote:
> 2019-05-22 (expired 2019-06-05)
> PASSED (-0:0:+5) PR #690 - XEP-0184: Make the schema require @id in <received/> - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/690
>

> 2019-06-12 (expiring 2019-06-26)
>
> Last Call: XEP-0300 (Use of Cryptographic Hash Functions in XMPP) - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0300.html
> Dave: +1
> Georg: -1 (pretty sure +1, but would like a quick glance to confirm)
> Jonas: +1
> Kev: +1 (may as well)
> Link: [pending]

After a review, I’m +1 with a few small nits I’d like to see fixed before
(or while) advancing:

The IANA registry listing hashes[1] doesn’t contain most of the ones
defined in XEP-0414, nor sha-1 which is used in one example.  I think we
should fix that either with the IANA or by doing our own registry.  The
two SHA3 hashes listed in Table 1 are already present in that registry
too.

“The Base64 output […] MUST set padding bits to zero.” in the paragraph
following Table 1[2], it would be useful to provide an example so that
implementers know it relates to the last bits of the hash, and not
wrongfully assume these are about the trailing = or == characters.

And lastly, I expect section 9.3[3] to move to XEP-0414, to avoid having to
update XEP-0300 everytime XEP-0414 changes.

Thanks,

[1] https://www.iana.org/assignments/named-information/named-information.xml
[2] https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0300.xml#table-1
[3] https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0300.xml#registrar-features